Monday, September 11, 2006

Just Say No

When you're starting your own dog walking business (as i am).. and you need to take it where you can get it (not that way, pervert... Im talking clients).. when is it ok to say no?

I cant tell you how many times Ive been contacted by slightly "off" individuals asking for special treatment for their dogs.

Dont get me wrong, If a client needs an extra walk, maybe a brushing or a vet visit, I can comply.. but when they ask me to tip toe into their apt in the morning (while they are sleeping on the couch), gently rub down their three chihuahuas with baby wipes and chew-then-regurgitate mashed up cheerios into their little open mouths, Ive got to draw the line.

I know, I need to be excited and enthusiastic when a potential client calls... I need to show that Im willing to go above and beyond to ensure the care and well-being of dogs everywhere... but when does it stop being caring and start being creepy?

Yes, Im a dog walker. Yes, I pick up crap for a living...but I still have my pride.

5 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

My sister worked as a pet walker and had a good business for many years. I think it is so wonderful to work a job that you love. The dogs you care for must love you!


PS: DId you see the movie "In Her SHoes?" You should, if you haven't!

Dr. Deb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Buffy said...

Sounds like a fabulous job!

Marissa said...

yup. definitely crosses the line. that's too funny. i'd take her on just for the hi-LARIOUS stories that ridiculous situation will provide. ;)

nRT said...

a girl i work with pays big $ to her dog walker. in boston she pays 15 for a 15 minute walk twice a day (30 a day). thats 60 dollars and hour. sounds like a great business
good luck