Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Bring It

My first day on the job... first day that I can no longer say: "I just quit my job in advertising and Im trying to form a dog walking company." Nope, now its just " Yeah, Im a dog walker" and I have to take the judgement and misunderstanding that goes along with it.

It's strange how many people feel it's their right to grace me with their opinion on what Im doing with my life. Especially those that wont look past their own misconceptions to realize that it could be a wonderful thing. Im going after something that I feel would make me happy.. something I think I deserve. And after three plus years in advertising.. why not go on an adventure?... I think I've earned it.

Most respond with a laugh when they hear that Ive given up my well-paying, suffocating, like-sucking, mind-numbing, corporate job to walk dogs. "Are you kidding? What are you really doing?" is the typical response. Once they realize that I am telling the truth, people usually assume that I didn't go to college or that Im some sort of trust fund baby taking the easy route.

Well guess what? Im neither.
I did, in fact, go to college (hey, I even graduated!), Im not being funded by my parents and most importantly, this isn't easy. Starting your own company, facilitating marketing strategies, creating and distributing advertisements (yeah, i had to learn Photoshop, inDesign and Illustrator), developing your own website (from scratch), figuring out fees/expenses and saving up money so that I would be able to do all this, was (no pun intended), not a walk in the park.

It's more than simply walking dogs (which, in itself, is an art). It's building a functioning business. It's being fully responsible for other living beings. And it's proving to myself that I don't need the corporate structure to run my life. I can be in charge... and be successful doing so.

So, to all you nay sayers out there: Bring it on... I guess Ill just have to prove you wrong.

1 comment:

Miss Scarlet said...

I think it's awesome!