Monday, November 20, 2006

Click-ity Clack

I've never been the popular girl. Scratch that, I was very popular in elementary school. I remember that the "sexiest" 6th grader asked me out three times. Each time, I said "no". He later shot someone. What I'm saying is, I was never part of a clique. Dont know why. I was always that slightly awkward girl who maybe hung out with the crowd once in a while, but was never invited to join.

Middle school and high school helped to solidify my concern. I was an outsider. Not that creepy guy who doesnt shower and smokes cigarettes behind the school. Dont get me wrong, I didnt shower... but I wasn't creepy; Just not cool enough to be part of "the" club. College life faired a bit better. There weren't so many cliques and I was able to find my place among individual friends. But I was eager to get out into the "real" world, where I assumed these selective groups magically disappeared, and I would suddenly be realized as very attractive.

And, since graduation, things seemed to be on the upswing. I've grown a few inches, started washing regularly, and have become more confident in myself. I've had numerous jobs in advertising, have been offered positions at almost every major agency in New York, and quit it all to own a dog walking company. You could say I've become a spitfire. But apparently, to one small group of snotty individuals inside the Tompkins Square dog park, Im still the pimply, awkward, smelly girl from Minneapolis. Yeah, thats right... the dog park has a clique. And it's a zinger.

The group consists of roughly 10 people, who, when standing inside the park fences, follow the credence that no one else matters. Regardless of the park's public access, they still give you the "who invited you?" look when you walk in. It's sort of how I imagined a modern day Dynasty...on crack, with dogs. And no, they are not overly attractive, or funny or special (to the untrained eye). They've just got an invite-only group that makes all others feel slightly less than. They are too cool for school, and they're ruining the harmonious "watch-Billy-humpathon" Ive been enjoying for the past few weeks.

But not any longer. I've realized that I don't really want to be a part of that clique... or any clique, for that matter. There's no need for exclusivity. And those who implement it, are saying something about themselves and their priorities. I'm perfectly happy sitting by myself, enjoying the dogs, fresh air and overall great outdoors. And hey, if someone comes over and wants to chat...Im all ears. But don't expect me to show up the next day donning matching t-shirts and ignoring anyone who doesn't adhere to our idea of social standards. That's way too involved. I'd much rather just relax.

4 comments:

Marissa said...

HAHAHA! I'm being stared down right now because I'm working out of Cosi today and as I read this post I was hysterically laughing -- making the chortling with the occasional snort thrown in for good measure -- to the point of tears! HILARIOUS, Mirra! You can be in my click. Just you and me. And the dogs.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for relaxing @ the dog park instead of becoming all consumed with the whole clique thing! Blech! I hate cliques!

nRT said...

Who needs the cliques...I for one go out of my way to be 'a loner'. I can't stand the superior attitude of the cliques.
Remember there are a lot of 'Davids' out there who would love to sit and chat with you. You do not need to stoop to their level.
Remember what you said:
"Im more and more interested in hearing how people have made it in the world... how they've managed to find their way through all of life's obstacles".
You will learn more about life from the Davids than from any one in the cliques.
Keep your head high and F the clique.

Spider Girl said...

Bah, cliques!