Monday, October 09, 2006

Sit. Stay. Speak.

I know, it takes me so long to write a new blog. Truthfully, I think its because Im EXHAUSTED by the time I get home at the end of the day. (I realized that I would be walking dogs, but apparently, it never occurred to me that I would be doing something I havent done in 2 years: exercising on a regular basis. I actually have to stretch when I wake up in the morning, otherwise I will be sore the next day.)

Secondly, Im very critical of what I write. Dont think I havent TRIED to write another blog since Sept 30th. I have. Ive actually written a few, but didnt really like any of them enough to post.

And lastly, there is SO much to write about now. From the comments I get on the street from other dog owners, to meeting new clients, to interviewing/hiring employees, to asinine comments I get from others about my career... Ive got a lot to say. The difficult part, I guess, is narrowing it down into one concise essay for your viewing pleasure.

Im not trying to make excuses.. Not at ALL. I love having a blog and writing about the daily dog occurrences. Like, for example, how interesting it is that people treat you differently when youre with a dog. Strangers who normally would have passed you by without a second glance, now stop to ask you questions, give advice or tell you about their canine experiences. It doesnt matter if you look busy, if youre in the middle of picking up poop or if youre clearly trying to get the dog to keep moving.. people feel like youre part of "the club" and that you, therefore, understand eachother. Ive never felt so loved, and so completely vulnerable at the same time. Walking a dog provides an opportunity for all types of people to strike up a conversation...

Yesterday, while walking in the park with French Bull Dog Fizzy, some (dirty, old) man watching us exclaimed, "that dog is really healthy... just like his mother." Might be the most disgusting thing Ive ever heard. And initially, I wasnt sure how to react. Did he actually KNOW Fizzy's mother? Probably not. But at the time, I was so shocked that anyone would have the gall to actually say something so inappropriate, that I was hoping he just mis-spoke. Doubtful.

When walking the small Havanese, Hannah, on the upper east side, people often stop me to tell me how perfect the two of us look together. Now, dont get me wrong...I think small dogs are adorable, and yes, I can see how people might assume that I am the owner of this $5000 dog - I dont dress like a typical dog walker (there's no mullet, mom jeans or harness full of dog supplies), and Im walking around swank areas during day time hours with one little pooch by my side. On top of that, I probably seem really happy and carefree...not because Im loaded, but instead, because Im doing something that I love. So I can see how people would assume that Im living "the life" on the UES with my little dog. Now, I love all dogs, but when it comes to owning one, I fancy myself a large mutt owner. I tend to have a connection to most lab mixes. we just "get" eachother.

My favorite comment Ive ever received was while walking beagle-lab mix, Billy. Whenever we get to the dog park, Billy will run ahead of me and play with other dogs. After a few minutes, he'll jump onto a bench and start sniffing around looking for me. I know this, because once he finally sees me, Ill simply wave (as to say hello) and he will come bounding over to sit next to me. One day in the park, someone told me that they couldnt believe I was just Billy's walker, because he treated me like I was his owner. It was such a compliment.

But I guess thats why I love being a dog walker.. thats why I wanted to be a dog walker, because I LOVE being with dogs. And thats why it was so flattering -- someone was validating the fact that this is not just a job for me, but instead, an exciting opportunity to build relationships with my new friends.

On a side note, Saturday was Leo's birthday. He would have been 14 years old. Leo is one of the reasons I started the New York Pooch Patrol. I miss him everyday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good post...don't feel like every post has to be an epic story (even though they are great reads)... a one paragraph quickie story works too!

as a non-dog owner on ues, i'm not really aware of what are expensive and cheap dogs...when i see dogs on the street they fall into 2 categories- cute and ugly. do owners really judge others based on the cost of the dog?

Miss Scarlet said...

Your blog makes me ache for a puppy of my own.

I'm naming him calculus. I've had the name picked out for years...now I just need him!

Marissa said...

Happy birthday, Leo. Both Tali and Leo have been quite the inspirations to you...I know they're smiling seeing what you're doing now.